When it comes to Filipino bread, one cannot overlook the beloved pandesal. This soft and fluffy bread roll is a staple in every Filipino household and is often enjoyed as a breakfast or snack. But what exactly is pandesal, and why is it so popular? Let's dive into the world of pandesal and discover its deliciousness and nutritional benefits.
- 500g bread flour
- 100ml lukewarm water
- 200ml lukewarm milk
- 1 sachet [7g] Easy bake yeast
- 30g [1 tbsp.] butter melted in room temperature
- 1 large egg in room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 to 2 cups of bread crumbs
- The liquid to add needs to be warm to activate the yeast.
*but if the liquid is to hot it will kill the yeast*.
- Add yeast stir well and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- I large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and salt, mix it well.
- In separate bowl combine melted butter, beaten eggs and the milk, water and yeast mixture. Mix together.
- Then gradually add liquid mixture to dry mixture and continue mixing until dough ceased to stick on the side of the bowl add flour if needed.
- Transfer dough on a slightly floured board, knead until smooth.
- Form into a ball and place in a slightly grease bowl, cover with cling paper or damp towel.
- Let rise in a warm place (inside the cupboard or inside the oven with the temperature set in a lowest degrees 40-50 degree C) for 1-2 hours or until it double the size.
- Punch down and re-knead dough for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 2.
- Get the first dough and roll out on a floured board into a long 1 diameter, cover with bread crumbs.
- Cut into 1 inch per piece. Arrange into slightly greased baking paper or greased baking pan with cut side up then sprinkle with bread crumbs. Do the same to the rest of the dough.
- Cover the cut pieces of the dough with damp towel.
- Again let it rise in a warm place (inside the cupboard or inside the oven with the temperature set in a lowest degrees 40-50c ) for 1-2 hours or until it double the size.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C /350 F.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.