- 3 cups Glutinous rice.
- 3 cups of water
- 1 can coconut milk - 400mls
- 2 cups dark muscovado
- 1 bottle macapuno- 340g
- Rinse 3 cups of glutinous rice and add 3 cups of water and boil using a rice cooker.
- Meanwhile, in the pot combine, 1 can of coconut milk and 2 cups of muscovado. Continue stirring until slightly thick.
- Take 1 cup of syrup and set aside for toppings.
- Add glutinous rice to the remaining syrups and stirring constantly to keep from burning, continue cooking until the rice dry.
- Spread the rice mixture in a pyrex dish. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Take the mixture and add 1 bottle of macapuno and cook over low heat until thick.
- Pour topping over rice mixture and bake in a preheated 180C oven over 20 minutes.
How to make biko?
The above tutorial you will learn how to make biko and easy to follow step by step instructions. YouTube video on how to make the delicious Biko recipe with macapuno topping.
I’m very much sure that if you are Filipino you must be familiar and probably tasted this delicious biko. But to those who are not Filipino maybe you are not familiar with the word biko.
What is biko?
“Biko” Is a sweet sticky rice cake and it is a popular merienda ( afternoon snack) and dessert in the Philippines. It is made of Glutinous rice and cooked with gata (coconut milk) and brown sugar ( dark muscovado).
Sticky rice with sweet caramelized taste of coconut milk and brown sugar syrup. I'm not really sure where is this food originated and also why this called "BIKO". If you have any information please let me know, or put your comment below.
Method and technique.
There are two methods of making this delicious biko recipe, but there several ways of making Biko toppings. First method is by cooking the glutinous rice in coconut milk and sugar at the same time, the taste is more creamy.
And 2nd method is by mixing boiled glutinous rice with brown sugar and coconut milk syrup and cook until the rice absorbs all the liquid.
I prefer to use the 2nd method because it is simple and more in control of the consistency of syrup to be mixed with glutinous rice. Watch the video above in Tagalog and English subtle.